Meet The Grads!

Meet The Grads!

Although there wasn't an in-person commencement ceremony this year, the NHCC class of 2020 still deserves to be celebrated. We offered a submission form for students to share their photos, future plans and NHCC memories. Let's meet the grads! 

lakeia austin_0.jpg              Lakeia Austin                                                                                                     

Degree/Certificate: AS in Education

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I am proud to be finally completing a goal I set for myself two years ago.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? By this time next year I hope to be teaching.

What is next in your educational or professional journey? I am working on getting a Masters in Education.

How do you plan to celebrate your graduation? I plan to order a special dinner in with my family.

What's your favorite NHCC memory? My favorite NHCC memory is being able to connect with students from around the world.

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 4.22.49 PM_0.png                Brittany Lockett 

Degree/Certificate: ABA Approved Paralegal A.S.

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I am most proud of myself for not giving up.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? By this time next year I hope to be working for the prosecutor’s office and continuing to finish school and obtain my bachelors degree.                                      

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Pursuing a bachelors degree.                     

How do you plan to celebrate your graduation? I will celebrate my success with close family and friends.                              

What's your favorite NHCC memory? My favorite NHCC memory would have to be with my favorite professor Shawn Woodbury. When I was going through a rough time, he told me that he still wasn’t going to go easy on me and that he would continue to hold me to a high standard. I still continue to strive for the best and to accomplish my goal of becoming an attorney. That is my favorite memory at NHCC because Professor Woodbury's words honestly have stuck with me and him not going easy on me is one of the reasons I never gave up and I am graduating today.

micah eubanks.jpg                  Micah Eubanks 

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I am proud to be an African-American single mother of five, working two jobs with all odds stacked against me and still with the strength given to me by my Creator to endure and push through. Most graduate high school, go to college, find a career, get married and have children, I however took a different path. I am thankful for my life experience and grateful to have children old enough to watch the resilience it takes to achieve anything you set your mind to.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? By this time next year, I will be graduating from St. Cloud State University with a degree in ABS Special Education.                                      

What is next in your educational or professional journey? My ultimate goal is to become a special education teacher with an EBD license and a Master's degree.                    

How do you plan to celebrate your graduation? I plan to celebrate my graduation with a drive-by open house (since we are in quarantine). It will be a joint open house/celebration with my twins who are graduating from 8th grade also.                         

What's your favorite NHCC memory? Hands down! My favorite memory at NHCC was taking Dr. Susan Moore's Education classes. She is lovely, funny and sweet-she will always have a special place in my heart. Also, Mr. Brandon H. from Math 900!! The BEST math instructor I have EVER had in my entire life! I was also published in Realities the NHCC magazine, on my response to police violence against black men in America after writing a paper on Ta-Nihisi Coates book, Between the World and Me. Lastly, the most life changing experience was taking the Civil Rights African-American Immersion Experience class with Dr. Sean Payton. I will never forget what I learned, being in a the exact place my ancestors were and the deep emotions I had from it all. I will forever be grateful for my experience at North Hennepin Community College.

Extras: Dream Deferred by Langston Hughes
What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?

Or fester like a sore--
And then run?

Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

DSCN1578.JPG                    Karina Solis 

Degree/Certificate: Communications AA

What are you most proud of as a graduate? To be able to say that I made good connections on campus. I couldn’t have made it to graduation without the support of other students, faculty and staff. I LOVE YOU NHCC 

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? As an international student I have the option of transferring to a four-year university or doing Optional Practical Training (OPT: is an opportunity that allows me to take a year off of school and gain work experience in my field of study instead). After I graduate from NHCC, I will be doing OPT for a year. I would love to work or do an internship. Maybe something related to television, radio, newspaper, a magazine, a non-profit, public relations, or even marketing. By the end of the summer, I am probably going to move to Arizona and find OPT opportunities to continue my personal and professional growth while utilizing my English and Spanish skills.                                      

What is next in your educational or professional journey? After I am done with OPT, I will enroll at a four-year institution and work towards my BA in public relations and fundraising management. I might go to Arizona State University, or Metropolitan State University in Minnesota.                  

How do you plan to celebrate your graduation? I am celebrating by watching the online ceremony with my best friend at home, eating ice cream and going to bed early. I NEED SOME REST haha! After COVID-19 is done, I might go on a trip with my best friend to celebrate.                         

What's your favorite NHCC memory? Hard question! When I recorded the commencement speech for graduation. Probably when I was in student senate and student volunteer club. It was fun when I got to represent NHCC at the USA Capitol in DC. No no no, when I started as the NHCC Foundation intern, or maybe when I started working as a student ambassador for admissions and outreach. Or, when I got to be in Alice in Wonderland, I was a rose, a duck and a flamingo haha! I DON’T KNOW!

Amanda Sengdara 

Degree/Certificate: Business Transfer Pathway AS

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I am most proud of pushing through these last couple years. There were so many moments where I just wanted to take a break, but I pushed through! Thank you to everyone who stayed by my side and helped me through it all. 

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? By this time next year, I hope to be a better version of myself. I hope I am doing great while obtaining my bachelor’s degree.                                      

What is next in your educational or professional journey?  I want to pursue to get my bachelor’s degree. I haven’t decided what school I would like to attend. I have two options that I’m still researching!                 

jade raj.jpg                    Jade Raj 

Degree/Certificate: Associate of Arts – Liberal Arts AA

What are you most proud of as a graduate?  I am most proud of being able to show my children that anything is possible! I am proud that I was able to overcome many obstacles in my life and be here today with my associates degree!

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? By this time next year I will have two semesters completed towards my bachelors 
degree, working towards completing another chapter in my life!                                     

What is next in your educational or professional journey? My next educational journey would be complete a Bachelors in Sonography.

milissa skjegstad.jpg                               Milissa Skjegstad          

Degree/Certificate: American Sign Language (Cert)

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I am proud of myself for receiving my ASL certificate. There have been times I've wanted to quit when things got hard. I am thankful to the wonderful teachers at North Hennepin for encouraging me to keep going. I look forward to bridging the 
gap between the deaf and hearing worlds.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? I will continue working at Wells Fargo in White Bear Lake, MN.

moses omagwa.jpg                              Moses Omagwa

What are you most proud of as a graduate? Making it through to finish line despite of some life challenges and at least I will 
have something to celebrate and make me smile in this tough time.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Studying in a nursing program. 

Momo Dunor

Degree/Certificate: Entrepreneurship AAS

What are you most proud of as a graduate? The relationships I've gained with teachers and networking with them.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Transferring to a four year college.                                   

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Becoming CEO of a known company.

carncilia mbuntum.jpg                     Carncilia Mbuntum

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I made it this far because of the two most important support systems in my life, my son and his dad <3. Mac and Ryan I am super proud we did this. I could not have done it without your support.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Next year, I would like to be taking my nursing courses to be an RN.   

makaylah grose.jpg                 Makaylah Grose

What are you most proud of as a graduate? First and foremost, I am proud of myself for finding the motivation and strength to continue to invest in higher education. If it wasn’t for believing in myself first, I wouldn’t be where I am today. Through the 5 years it has taken me to get this degree, I was tested with so many trials and tribulations, but I came out the other end with a smile on my face and a degree in my hand. 

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? By this time next year I will hopefully be done with my second semester at Metropolitan State University in St. Paul. If all lines up, I’ll be preparing to take a trip to Cambodia with my boyfriend and his family!                                 

What is next in your educational or professional journey? This fall, I will be pursuing a bachelors degree in Psychology at Metropolitan State University! I hope to one day become a mental health advocate/educator in communities where there is stigma surrounding mental health, but approaching it with a multi-cultural lens. I’d also like to one day go back for a masters degree in counseling, so I could potentially be a therapist with an emphasis in trauma counseling—bringing my services possibly to immigrant and refugee communities with a multi-cultural lens. I also see myself utilizing my birth Doula certification and maybe making a business on the side. But we will see where this fall will take me! The world is my oyster.

brian lewis.jpg                       Brian Lewis 

Degree/Certificate: Marketing AAS

What are you most proud of as a graduate? Staying consistent through school and work.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? I hope to be in good health and still working a job I enjoy.                           

amy deluna.jpg                           Amy DeLuna 

What are you most proud of as a graduate? Maintaining a high GPA.

What is next in your educational or professional journey? I will be going into ARCC's Physical Therapy Assistant program.

demetria mcgrone.jpg                          Demetria McGrone

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I am proud of my growth. Last year I started college, and I remember that first week, I wanted to withdraw from all my classes because I didn't feel I was capable, or smart enough. Thankfully, I didn't let my fear win because I wouldn't have able to gain leadership skills that will help me in my future career path. I learned how to advocate for others and myself & I am more self-confident. I am also proud of the way the staff at NHCC supported students through this challenging time. The sacrifices, commitment, and dedication have not gone unnoticed. I am especially proud of the students at NHCC who all stepped up and helped other students virtually in ways they were able to.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? I hope to continue to advocate on behalf of others.                                 

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Starting my bachelor's in Social Work.

Enrique Dominguez 

Degree/Certificate: Liberal Arts & Sciences AA

What are you most proud of as a graduate? Being the first person in my family to graduate college. I didn't just graduate for 
myself, I graduated for my whole family and the ones that couldn't do it.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Becoming a mentor for the youths, and making sure my family is well off.                                 

What is next in your educational or professional journey? I'm probably going to take a year off, and once I feel ready, I'll try to get my bachelor's.

erica taavola.jpeg                            Erica Taavola

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Working towards a bachelors degree.                              

nguyen trinh.png                          Nguyen Trinh

Degree/Certificate: Business Computer Systems and Management AAS

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I got a degree in the USA.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Working at my current logistic company job.                              

What is next in your educational or professional journey? A bachelors degree.

Josh Wheeler

Degree/Certificate: Communications Studies Transfer Pathway AA

What are you most proud of as a graduate? The journey - start to finish!

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Continuing my education towards a bachelors degree.                              

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Attending St. Cloud State University and hopefully a career in radio.

jess forga.jpg                                                    Jess Forga

Degree/Certificate: Theatre Transfer Pathway AFA

What are you most proud of as a graduate? My perseverance. I've had life hand me a lot of difficult curve balls over these past few years but I've not only survived but thrived.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? With the state of the world as it is, I'm unsure, but I hope to be designing or building a theater set somewhere!                            

What is next in your educational or professional journey? I plan on taking some time off of school before possibly pursuing my BFA at UMD. In the mean time, I hope for the opportunity to find local theater set jobs to keep my skills sharp.

femi daramola.jpg                           Femi Daramola 

Degree/Certificate: Human Services 

Lisa Bright_0.jpg                        Lisa Bright

Degree/Certificate: Accounting Technology AAS

What are you most proud of as a graduate? Attending school half time, while working 40+ hours a week at my job. I also got bought a house and got married in the last year. All while maintaining at minimum a 3.75 GPA.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Continuing to work full time.                            

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Continuing to make personal improvements and work to keep my skills sharp.

lynnae weddington.png                                                  Lynnae Weddington

Degree/Certificate: Health Science Broad Field AS

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I didn't give up after my previous school closed the doors.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Pursuing a BS degree in Health & Science.                           

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Transferring to Saint Cloud State University. 

hannah dornbusch.jpg                            Hannah Dornbusch

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I am most proud of my son, my faith, my determination, and true grit. Life hasn't been easy, but I've gotten back up every time. So happy to be crossing this finish line.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? I hope to be close to completing my Computer Science degree, looking at transfer options, and considering new careers. Maybe already doing something with my Accounting Certificate and moving forward with a 2-year Accounting degree as well?                        

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Moving forward with Accounting and Computer Science!

francis h. nyumah.jpeg                                   Francis H. Nyumah

Degree/Certificate: Criminal Justice AS

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I am proud of myself having gone through the snow, rain, and sun pursing my degree. It wasn't easy but thank God I have come to the graduation point. I am proud that I am now a graduate in the field I love seeing myself working into.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? When I get my degree, look for a job in my career field and think about furthering my education to a high level. By next year I would love to be back to school to achieve the highest education for great success.                      

What is next in your educational or professional journey? The next thing on my mind is to go back to school to reach the highest level of learning and achieve greatness in my career field.

ann johnson.jpg                                 Ann Johnson 

What are you most proud of as a graduate? Committing to going back to school after 35+ years!                    

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Continuing my degree in special education at St. Cloud State University.

mariah hanson.PNG                                                   Mariah Hanson 

Degree/Certificate: Creative Writing AFA

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I'm proud of the healthy and sustainable relationships I've built at North Hennepin; with peers and professors, these relationships allowed me to keep moving forward in pursuing my degree.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? I plan to work in the theater, film, and creative writing scenes in Minneapolis.                    

What is next in your educational or professional journey? During the fall I'll be starting my Film degree at MCTC. Later, I'll be transferring to York University in London!

nyoka sewell.jpg                                              Nyoka Sewell

Degree/Certificate: Communications Studies Transfer Pathway AA

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I'm most proud of how much I have grown intellectually and that it only took me one year to complete my Communications Degree.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? By this time next year I hope to be working on my own business.

Adrienna Bettie.jpg                                      Adrieanna Bettie

Degree/Certificate: Education AS

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I am most proud of accomplishing my degree at 39. Our family has increased by 3 since I enrolled at NHCC in 2014. I have had some highs and lows but I was determined to invest in myself and my future career.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Next year I will be halfway through my bachelors in Education with a new, beautiful 
baby girl. We will be welcoming our daughter on June 14th and she will complete our family of 9 children.  I am not certain how we will adjust to Covid-19, but I do know, if I am called to assist my children with their virtual education I will heed the call.                   

What is next in your educational or professional journey? In light of Covid-19 our current world is shifting. I am learning new approaches of delivering a rich education to all my students through innovation and adapting to multi-techniques of learning structures. Children deserve a teacher who will meet them where they are and help them achieve their next level of education without unnecessary stress from biases and educational disparities.

eleanor fetzek.jpg                                     Eleanor Fetzek

Degree/Certificate: Management AAS

What are you most proud of as a graduate? It's been a long journey, working two jobs with kids and trying to complete my degree. I feel I can now exhale. So happy to get my degree.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Not sure, hoping to go Concordia.                  

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Going to enjoy a social distance summer.

Ijeoma Okonkwo.jpg                                         Ijeoma Okonkwo

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I am proud of the array of information that I learned in this degree. Also, the different events that I participated in with the Diversity and Equity department. 

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? I hope to showcase my poetry to more people and to discover more local writers/artists.                 

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Get into an RN program.

latrice johnson.jpg                                           Latrice Johnson

Degree/Certificate: Criminal Justice AS

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I am proud to be leaving NHCC as a graduate and leaving with my Criminal Justice AS degree! It took many years and I’ve been through many obstacles & it was all worth it! 

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? This time next year, I hope to be in a job role where I can use knowledge and degree to be successful.                 

What is next in your educational or professional journey? I am taking a small break before going for my bachelor’s degree to help my 4-year-old son transition into Pre-k and Kindergarten. 

Mai Xiong.jpg                                            Mai Xiong

Degree/Certificate: Finance Management AAS

What are you most proud of as a graduate? Sticking to my goal of receiving my degree.            

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Getting into a finance position.

Alyssa Michels.jpeg                                  Alyssa Michels

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I am most proud of graduating with my Associate of Art degree and my Associate of Science Paralegal degree in 3 years.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Finishing my first year at St. Cloud State.               

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Attending St. Cloud State University's criminal justice program.

Nehemiah Simba.jpeg                                   Nehemiah Simba 

What are you most proud of as a graduate? The teamwork that the professors and students exhibit throughout the semester is unmatched!

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing?  I would be enrolled in another higher course to sharpen my skills and become competitive.             

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Furthering my education and expanding my career goals.

Nalissa Wilson

Degree/Certificate: Psychology Transfer Pathway AA 

What are you most proud of as a graduate?  I am so proud that I stayed persistent. I now have a degree to remind myself of the hard work that it takes to have a bright and fulfilling future.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? By this time next year I hope to be on my way to finishing a Bachelors degree in Psychology.

thomas gajeski jr.jpg                               Thomas Gajeski Jr. 

Degree/Certificate: Liberal Arts

What are you most proud of as a graduate? Despite having autism, and taking longer to complete my degree, I worked hard and did it on my own.                                     

What is next in your educational or professional journey? I plan on going into the IT field.                     

How do you plan to celebrate your graduation? I plan to celebrate with my family at home. 

olamide taiwo.jpg                                 Olamide Taiwo 

Degree/Certificate: Human Services AS 

What are you most proud of as a graduate? The little and important things that have shaped me into who I truly am today. I learned how to be a confident speaker, how to embrace the diversity of everyone around me and to know the true value of time management.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Pursuing my Bachelor's Degree at Minnesota State University.             

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Practicing my profession for few months to have more experience in the field and then going back to school. 

Jade Milless.jpg                                 Jade Milless 

What are you most proud of as a graduate? Completing my AA in liberal arts as a PSEO student, while simultaneously graduating high school with my diploma.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? I will be attending a four year college- St. Olaf University and I will pursue a degree in psychology.            

What is next in your educational or professional journey? My next educational goal/journey is to receive a PhD in psychology.

Aseena Ally.PNG                             Aseena Ally

Degree/Certificate: Education AS

What are you most proud of as a graduate? As a graduate, I am most proud of passing math. I mean, who would have thought? Aseena Ally? Passing math?

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Striving for excellence by pushing myself to join more clubs and organizations while successfully keeping up with school and working.        

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Transferring to Mankato State University and pursuing my bachelor's in Elementary Education.

Ta'Kenya Friday.jpg                               Ta’Kenya Friday

Degree/Certificate: Marketing AAS

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I’m proud that I finally made it this far. It is such a great accomplishment. With the help of NHCC faculty, friends and family I was able to make this happen.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? This fall I’ll be transferring to Concordia University, St. Paul. Where I’ll get my bachelors degree in marketing.

How do you plan to celebrate your graduation? During this time of quarantine, I’ll be celebrating graduation with my lovely family.

What's your favorite NHCC memory? My favorite NHCC moment was when I was accepted into the advising center family, where I worked as a student worker. 

Amanda Rog.jpg                                 Amanda Rog 

Degree/Certificate: Wellness Coach (Cert)

What are you most proud of as a graduate? My resiliency throughout school. 

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Hopefully working in my field and continuing school around my work schedule.     

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Work towards an associate degree and eventually a bachelor's degree. 

Joe Ramlet.jpg                                      Joe Ramlet

Degree/Certificate: Political Science Transfer Pathway

What are you most proud of as a graduate? I'm most proud of graduating with an associate degree while still in high school as a PSEO student. 

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Next year, I'll be teaching digital literacy in Plymouth, as an AmeriCorps Member.     

What is next in your educational or professional journey? After serving in AmeriCorps, I will be attending Augsburg University to pursue a bachelor's degree in Political Science.

David Thomson 

Degree/Certificate: Mathematics Transfer Pathway AA

What are you most proud of as a graduate? My experience in the math resource center and all the students who study there. 

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Enrolled in the engineering program at St. Cloud State University.  

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Getting a bachelors degree in Electrical engineering. 

Elizabeth Lee

What are you most proud of as a graduate? Being the first member of my family to graduate with a degree!

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? I’ll be going to Metropolitan State University to continue for my Professional Communications degree.

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Getting ready for my upcoming classes for fall 2020 at Metro State.

Joy Otieno .jpg                                   Joy Otieno 

What are you most proud of as a graduate?  I am proud to graduate with an associate's degree while I'm still in high school.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? By this time next year, I will be finishing my first year in college at Bethel University.

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Next, I will be majoring in Nursing and doing Pre-Pa classes at Bethel University.

Fatoumata Mara

Degree/Certificate: Computer Science Transfer Pathway AS 

What are you most proud of as a graduate?  I am so proud today to have been able to arrive there, with each difficulty we find a goal. To have been able to accomplish this end of the road, whether with my teachers, my colleagues. All of this is a real accomplishment, to which I was very attached.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing?  Transferring to a different university, and applying to be an intern!

What is next in your educational or professional journey? The next step is having a really great job, on what I studied for in order to serve society.

Jack Hauser.jpg                                    Jack Hauser

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Going to the University of Minnesota Duluth.

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Majoring in Social Work. 

Michael Selmer.png                                    Michael Selmer

What are you most proud of as a graduate? The hard work it took to come to this point in graduating.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Attending Metro State in Fall. 

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Obtain a Bachelor's degree at Metro State University and then obtaining my teaching license in English.

Mohamed Albatushi

What are you most proud of as a graduate? North Hennepin diversity and the community. I am proud of the obstacles that I overcame and all the hardship I went through to get here. This is for my family.

By this time next year what do you hope to be doing? Studying Computer Science at the University of Minnesota. That is my plan. I haven’t chosen what exactly I want to specialize in but we will see.

What is next in your educational or professional journey? Building up a nice resume and making different projects for myself so I can build up my portfolio.

adam larson.JPG                             Adam Larson

Dominique Black.jpg                              Dominique Black

Kimberlee Buller.jpg                               Kimberlee Buller 

rae ellen collins.jpg                                Rae Ellen Collins 

Rafiullah Salarzai.jpeg                                 Rafiullah Salarzai

SiVai Xiong.jpg                                  SiVai Xiong

similar posts