Get to Know the Guest Artist: Moira Bateman

Moira Bateman is an abstract artist, who enjoys working with shapes and natural found materials. This year, she was chosen to be a guest artist in part of NHCC's “Stages of Equity” initiative to give diversity a more equitable place within our campus programing. You can view Moira's vinyl mural titled, Transform, in our 3D interactive gallery here, https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=RwG4iu8NPE1 

Find out more about Moira in the Q&A below!

How would you describe your artistic practice?  

I am an abstract artist. I like making artwork by piecing shapes together into a kind of assemblage. My work is often focused on the natural world and waterways. 

What is your creative process like?  

I tend to work intuitively and experimentally. I like to try new materials and processes. The processes I use to make my work matter to me and often will drive the outcome. I think about how to streamline and simplify my work, the materials and process. I pay attention to the tiny details as well as the overall, large scale. 

What has been a seminal experience that inspired you?  

The biggest impact on my work as an artist is my education in landscape architecture and its focus on ecology. 

Explain the scope of your work here at NHCC in 100 words.  

The mural measures 7 by 18 feet. It is an assemblage made of various cut out shapes of vinyl laid next to and on each other. An abstraction of the word “transform”, the piece was designed specifically for students in the fine arts. It can symbolize their own transformations as they grow and create during their time at the school. The holographic and reflective qualities of the piece were used so its colors will change depending on light, shadow, and position. Colors change for the viewer as they walk by. Light and shadow interplay and transform the piece itself.  

What themes do you pursue in your work?  

I pursue themes of time, change and life itself. 

What jobs have you done other than being an artist?  

In addition to being an artist, in the past I have worked in the field of landscape architecture.  

Should art be funded? What role does arts funding have?  

I support funding for the arts. Funding for artists can help create important artwork that can benefit people’s lives. 

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?  

The best advice is so simple but may take a lifetime to accomplish: “be you”.  

Is there anything else you would like to share?  

Thank you for the opportunity to make this mural at NHCC. I hope everyone will enjoy it’s playful, changing colors along with its message. 

similar posts