50+ and Fearless: Deb Fortney's Story

50+ and Fearless: Deb Fortney's Story

What a difference time can make. Deb Fortney graduated from high school in 1984. “I went to college, a few times and tried it and it just didn't work out,” says Fortney. She knew that later, when she eventually went back to school, she wanted to finish well, not just skate by. “Finally, I had raised my kids and everything. I had gotten a divorce. I felt free and I felt like the world was mine. I could do anything. The only thing truly holding me back is me,” she says.

Q&A with Nursing Grad Zach Part II: Advice for Prospective Students

Zach Ward was a Nursing student at NHCC, who just graduated in the Spring of 2021. Most impressively, Zach already has a job lined up too! (As long as he passes the NCLEX exam, which he plans to!) He got hired at the same hospital he did his clinicals at and starts on the 26th of June. Zach will be working on a Cardiac Step Down. “That’s between a typical Med Search floor and an ICU.” He describes working in the cardiac field as this, ‘Your heart is basically a pump.

Q&A with Nursing Grad Zach Part I: NHCC Student Experience

NHCC Alum Leaves Behind a Colorful Legacy

Sebastian Rivera Cintron is a muralist and an NHCC Class of 2016 alum. While taking art courses at NHCC, Sebastian became President of Student Senate. This involvement helped him to figure out what he wanted to do with his life. After graduation, Sebastian worked with the City of Brooklyn Park as an Organizer. Today Sebastian works as a muralist and is pursuing his arts career. Find out how Sebastian created a ‘healing’ mural for NHCC’s CARE Center in the Q&A below!

From Working Mother, to Frontline Nurse, This is Jeanette's Story

Jeanette Rupert is an NHCC nursing alumni who fights the pandemic at her full-time job and also volunteers in her spare time at George Floyd Square. Jeanette has a tireless commitment to serving others and this is her story.

What drew you to nursing/what’s your background story?