The Magic of Mentorship: An NHCC Alumni Story

Norzing Chodon was a student at North Hennepin Community College who graduated in 2017. She is currently completing her Bachelor of Science degree at the University of Minnesota and has plans to start her graduate studies career shortly after. Recently, while preparing for her graduate school exam, Norzing reconnected with one of her past NHCC tutors, Dale Bradtke. This blog post was written in response to the mentors and encouraging peers Norzing met at NHCC who helped her to get to where she is today. Discover Norzing and her NHCC story in the Q&A below!

NHCC, BSU Alum Starts at Yale this Fall!

When Afeez Sodeinde came to NHCC in 2015, he originally started as a pre-nursing major. But during his required science courses, he discovered a passion for biology. Early on at NHCC, Afeez met Andrew Arsham, Assistant Professor of Biology at Bemidji State University and Biology Baccalaureate Partnership Director.

50+ and Fearless: Deb Fortney's Story

50+ and Fearless: Deb Fortney's Story

What a difference time can make. Deb Fortney graduated from high school in 1984. “I went to college, a few times and tried it and it just didn't work out,” says Fortney. She knew that later, when she eventually went back to school, she wanted to finish well, not just skate by. “Finally, I had raised my kids and everything. I had gotten a divorce. I felt free and I felt like the world was mine. I could do anything. The only thing truly holding me back is me,” she says.

Q&A with Nursing Grad Zach Part II: Advice for Prospective Students

Zach Ward was a Nursing student at NHCC, who just graduated in the Spring of 2021. Most impressively, Zach already has a job lined up too! (As long as he passes the NCLEX exam, which he plans to!) He got hired at the same hospital he did his clinicals at and starts on the 26th of June. Zach will be working on a Cardiac Step Down. “That’s between a typical Med Search floor and an ICU.” He describes working in the cardiac field as this, ‘Your heart is basically a pump.